The older of the two shrines at San Gabriele is the orginal convent and church where St. Gabriel spent the last years of his earthly life. The history of the shrine began with St. Francis, that saint of Assisi in whose font St. Gabriel was baptised. St. Francis founded a chapel on the hill dedicated to the Annunciation and in 1216 a larger church dedicated to the Immaculate Conception was built.
The church was restored in 1508 and in 1920 it was enlarged to its present size. A dome was added in 1920 to mark the canonisation of St. Gabriel and in the same year the chapel where St. Gabriel’s relics lie was added.
The older convent now houses a museum which holds many relics of St. Gabriel and the Room of Trasnition; a chapel built in the room where St. Gabriel departed this earthly life. In the choir can be seen the statue of Our Lady of Sorrows that St. Gabriel restored.